Looking to start a new business, or expand an existing one? Our experienced attorneys will help you set up your business for sustainable growth and success.
Choosing the right business entity is the foundation of any successful creative venture. That decision affects everything from the ownership structure, the decisionmaking, hirings, and financing to the tax implications of the business. We’ll help you choose the right business structure for you, create and implement the best approach to formation, and advise you every step of the way.
How We Help
As your creative business grows, let Counsel for Creators LLP help you choose the right type of business entity. We offer services in business formation, entity selection, business operation, and business maintenance.
LLC Formation Services
A limited-liability company can help you protect your personal assets from business losses. We offer flat rate services to help you establish and operate a California LLC, whether it is with one member or multiple people.
Corporate Formation Services
A California corporation can be the right choice for your business. We can help you establish your California corporation, issue shares to members, create by-laws and help you understand how best to operate your corporation. We can even help you understand how to file for an S-Corp election, where appropriate.
Whether you are forming a general partnership or a limited-liability partnership in California, we can help. We can advise you on how running your partnership and we can draft your partnership agreement.
We help licensed professionals such as doctors, lawyers, accountants, architects, dentists and engineers form professional corporations. We also advise on how to comply with any regulations involved with these professions.
Like what you’re seeing but don’t know where or how to start? That’s where we come in.
What are the benefits of incorporating?
There are a number of reasons to form a business entity such as an LLC or a corporation. Chief among them are:
- Liability protection. Limited liability protection helps to protect your personal assets from business debts and lawsuits. In short, limited liability protection provides an important shield for your personal assets. We wrote a blog post that provides insight into the benefits of obtaining limited liability protection.
- Access to tax benefits and the ability to deduct business expenses.
- Enhanced credibility for your business.
How long does it take?
Generally, it will take 2-3 weeks from the filing date for an LLC to become active, and 3-4 weeks for a C-corporation. S corporations may take an additional 1-2 months, depending on the IRS processing time. Expedited filing (1-2 day turnaround) is available for an additional filing fee.
Should I just use LegalZoom to incorporate?
LegalZoom, like other Legal Websites, is cheap, but it may not be the right choice for anyone serious about getting meaningful legal advice. We have had many people come to us after having a bad experience with LegalZoom and needing help sorting out a mess that could have been avoided by engaging an attorney in the first place.
What should I name my business entity?
Choosing the right name for your business depends on a number of practical considerations (such as the business owner’s marketing and personal goals) as well as legal considerations (such as the naming guidelines for the state where your business is located, or the existence of competitors with similar names). We wrote a blog post that discusses the main considerations in choosing the right name for your business.
What type of business entity should I choose?
Choosing the right business entity for your business depends upon many factors that must be considered. These include: The cost and ease of formation. Do you prefer a more streamlined approach?
- How you intend to raise capital and finance your business. Certain investors and lenders have specific requirements in the type of entity they prefer investing in.
- Your tax strategy. Different entities may have substantially different tax results to the same transactions.
- Where you intend to conduct business.
- How you intend to manage the business. Will all owners to have a say or vote in business operations or do you want to limit or even prevent management participation by some owners? Will the business be managed by non-owners?
- How long you intend the business to exist.
- Who the owners are and how many there will be. Certain entity types are available only to single or multiple owners and for only legal US residents. Certain entity types may only be owned by individuals, and not by other entities.
- The industry you are engaged in. For example, certain regulated industries require that businesses operate as certain entities.
- Whether you want to make it more difficult or easier to transfer your ownership interest to another party.
Still not sure? We created a questionnaire that can help you determine the best entity for your business. Check it out here
How does your business entity process work?
We developed proprietary systems that allow you to easily and effectively work with our attorneys from anywhere in the world. Find out more about our process here.
creator’s legal program
When we say that we are an innovative law firm, we mean it.
We have reengineered and redesigned the law firm experience for the 21st century. By leveraging cutting-edge technology we are able to make legal services more cost-effective and accessible. That means that we are able to take a holistic approach to our legal practice and offer exactly the right legal services that any creative business needs
As a result, we work with some of the most innovative people in the world.
Whether our clients work in technology, media or the arts, they value our proactive attitude and the fact that we understand their world. From iconic brands to established artists to in-demand software development shops to lauded indie filmmakers, our clients have trusted us to help them protect and grow what they have built or will build.
We hope that you will join them.